Refractive Lens Exchange is a very successful technique for resolving vision problems using multifocal IOLs (Intra-Ocular Lenses) and is a popular option for patients who prefer to replace the eye’s lens before cataracts make this a necessity.
The beginnings of cataracts or the onset of presbyopia are both signs that eventually your vision will be affected enough to require surgery and replacement of the eye’s aging or clouded lens.
Rather than endure the inconveniences of close-up vision problems or the gradual deterioration due to cataracts, many of our patients choose to have the affected natural lens replaced with a multi-focal or accommodating IOL.
The advantages of pre-empting the aging process are:
- Eliminating the need for readers and bifocals
- Solving common vision problems such as astigmatism, nearsightedness and farsightedness
- The cornea is untouched making this an excellent option for patients whose corneas are too thin for LASIK
- The IOL can be removed and exchanged at any time to adjust for any future changes in the patient’s vision
- There is no future possibility of developing a cataract or presbyopia
While cataract surgery is often covered by Medicare or other insurance plans, Refractive Lens Exchange, if there is no significant cataract present, is considered an elective procedure and costs can range from about $2,500 to $4,500 per eye or higher, depending on the type of artificial lens used.
Aside from this economic consideration, the RLE procedure is identical to cataract surgery, one of the most commonly performed of all surgical procedures.
Find out if Refractive Lens Exchange is your best vision option by scheduling an exam and consultation.
Tecnis® Multifocal Lens Implant
Schedule a Consultation Today!